Thursday, July 24, 2008

back home with a new challenge!

My all-day trip home from Tucson was good.  I went to Whole Foods the day before and got a bag of salad and fruit, made a salad of that in the morning and ate it just before landing in Atlanta.   I got the only fruit that was organic at Whole Foods (they surprisingly don't have that much):  peach, nectarine, plum, apple.  They were really good in the salad mix.  I ate an apple and carrots when I got home.  For dinner we had fresh sweet corn from the corn stand and beans from the garden, yum!  Later we went to the co-op.  Now here is where I get weird.  Often when I get home from a trip I want to splurge.  I think this is after seeing everyone else splurge while I'm on my trip.  So at the co-op I got a vegan chocolate chip cookie.   But it gets worse.  Yesterday at the co-op I had two chocolate chip cookies, and a couple of small entrees from the deli.  One was very good: a seitan, chickpea, rice thing.  The other was so-so, kale and rice and coconut with too much hot pepper.  Then I came home and started making treats.  This is because of a new development wherein my housemate is willing to eat more healthy while she's at work.  So I'm trying to come up with healthy chocolate treats that will replace chocolate candy bars and chips.  I came up with two from Dr. Fuhrman's website and they are both good.  But I have no discipline!   I ate too much of both yesterday and today.  But I did enjoy it.  One of the treats are Chocolate Bean Bars, which Dr. Fuhrman said he would post to his blog so I'll link to it when it gets there.  These are like fudgsicles---really good.  The other are Fuhrman's Yummy Banana-Oat bars (Eat For Health, book 2, p. 274), to which I added chocolate chips (she is a chocoholic so I am starting there).   These were also quite good.   We've been having our usual morning smoothies, and lunch of corn and beans (a staple this time of year).  Today I was on campus so had a green smoothie.  For dinner I had fruit salad and watermelon and cherries.  I made house-mate a salad for yesterday's dinner and fruit salad tonight (made up of whatever fruit I had:  watermelon, strawberries, delicious ripe pear, fresh cut pineapple yum! )  but the treats, I've been eating too much!  I am finally going to have to learn some discipline.  See it's easy for me when food is off-limits, for example if it's not vegan.  But if it's not off limits and doesn't have oil and salt, and is relatively healthy, then my lack of discipline rears it's ugly head.  Well, this is going to be a good challenge for me to have good tasting, allowable treats in the house.  I should have one for dessert and that's all.  Another thing I made up for house-mate is a chocolate shake.  So far she is happy with the chocolate treats and feels they are good substitutes for the candy bars, a great accomplishment!  I have found many other Fuhrman dessert treats I will try out or modify.  This will be fun.  and I will learn discipline, some how.  

One fun thing is that house-mate tried my green smoothie today and thought it tasted pretty good.  The only thing she objected to was the look.  I think it looks really cool, a bright flourescent green.  I said it looks better than that Mountain Dew over there.  She said I don't drink mountain dew.   I said, coke is brown, that's uglier than this.  She said, but it's always been that way.  We were both tongue in cheek but it's interesting how much habits affect what you think looks good.   I think I might be able to make little green smoothies for her with less spinach in them to take into work.  That would be great because it would round out her dinners nicely with a lot of nutrients.

No comments: