Saturday, July 26, 2008

mojito iced tea

I had my first mojito when I was visiting my cousin in Tucson.  It was good!  It had rum, club soda, lime juice, (ginger?) and mint leaves, and sweetener.  I think that was all the ingredients.  So I decided to make a non-alcoholic version for a summer drink, I mean, for during the day when you are quenching your thirst, not drinking alcohol.  Then I got to thinking that club soda isn't so good for the environment.  I mean, it's okay in a mojito since that's rare, but maybe not so good for quenching your thirst on a regular basis.  So I made it with water.  I looked up some mojito recipes on the web and came up with this:

Ingredients:
minced ginger (1-2 Tbsp)
few sprigs of mint leaves
juice of 1 lime (or half lemon but lime is better)
few Tbsps maple syrup (okay, probably not the healthiest thing in the world...)

Instructions:
boil a few cups of water.  Put the minced ginger in a, ummm, one of those metal containers with holes in it for loose tea, and put it in a teapot. Add the boiling water.  Let it sit for a while.  Then take it out when you think it flavored the water enough.  Add the maple syrup, lime, several ice cubes and the mint leaves.  Let it sit a little longer so the mint leaves flavor the water.  Add water or ice cubes to taste.  refrigerate, and drink it for a few days.  I think it tastes great.   

No comments: