Sunday, November 9, 2008

sun nov 9 food

Today I ate the way I'm supposed to.  It was a relief, not an effort.  Surprisingly, I weighed myself this morning and I haven't gained weight, though I'm in the top end of my normal range, which is 122-125 lbs.  I was 125.2.  My body must have a set point.  but it's wasteful to eat as much as I have been.  so here's what I had today:

Breakfast:  mango-banana-spinach smoothie and 2 brazil nuts.  To me it's like drinking a delicious milkshake and yet it's so healthy.   That is why this way of eating is not deprivation.  It is awesome!

Lunch:  1-2 oz of baby herb salad mix from a bag.   small bowl of cabbage salad.  and my favorite meal right now:  sweet potato & pumpkin pie spice.   4 brazil nuts.

Dinner:  small bowl cabbage salad.  large orange.   brussels sprouts cooked in a small amount of water with a little vinegar and a little fennel from the garden (planted it too late so it was very tiny).  1 oz brazil nuts & pistachio nuts (total), small apple.

Notice I didn't touch yesterday's soup.  Neither did housemate.  She says she'll try it for lunch tomorrow.  I have the feeling most of it will go down the drain.  I feel bad about that--wasteful.

Today it finally got cold in Wisconsin, didn't get above 32 F and is only going to drop tonight, So it was finally time to harvest the rest of the collard greens and kale from the garden.  I washed and destemmed (ripped pieces off the stems) about 4 lbs worth, and stuffed them into 4 large ziplock bags, and froze them (it took 3 hours!).    It will be interesting to see how long they last.  I also washed and froze parsley, thyme, mint, and marjorum.  I'm not sure how this will work but I've done frozen parsley before and that worked fine.  it's easier than drying them, which I don't know how to do.  What a great year for the garden it was.  We're encouraged to do even more next year; I'd like to keep expanding it as time goes on.  In a few years, I suspect money will be tighter and the garden will be a cost saver.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy those expensive berries and fruit while I am still gainfully employed!

No comments: