Sunday, November 30, 2008

nov. 30 food

Breakfast:  blueberry, apple, pineapple, cinnamon, ground flaxseed "compote" over shredded greens (lettuce, salad mix, spinach).  I peeled and cut up the apple, added some cinnamon (1/4 tsp I think), microwaved it for a minute, added the frozen blueberry (half bag), pineapple (fresh), flaxseed, and microwaved another minute.  stirred it all around.  maybe microwaved it again.  poured it over the greens.  The only problem was that I was late for something and ate it faster than I wanted to.  Dr. Fuhrman says to chew your salads carefully so you absorb more nutrients.

Lunch:  veggies and eggplant-chickpea hummus.  The veggies included carrots, beets, broccoli and cauliflower.   I steamed them for 10 minutes to soften them up a bit.  It makes the carrots and beets taste sweeter.   It was yummy.   I also ate some grapes. 

Snack:  I made some Applenut Flax Bars from the Fuhrman members site.  These have ground nuts, chopped apples, oats, raisins and dates.  It's very good.  So far this is the best healthy baked thing I've tried.  I'm not a huge fan of baked goods.  I made these for my trip later this week.  I froze them.  But of course I taste-tested several pieces, and ate nuts while grinding them.  I ate too many nuts again today.  

Dinner:  more desserts.  I'm trying out various Fuhrman desserts.  and I think I'm getting tired of them, not surprising.  Let's see, I made some mango-coconut sorbet which I didn't enjoy too much--I think I didn't like the dried mango and it had too much coconut.  So I froze most of it for later.  Then I had the leftover cashew cream sauce from last night's baked apples, so I microwaved a cut-up apple with cinnamon and added the cream sauce.  It was good.  I had a few more grapes.  This doesn't sound like too much but I was full from the nuts and bars.

No comments: