Saturday, November 22, 2008

Creamy Borscht Soup

This is based on this recipe.  But I think mine is different enough to allow a new post.  

Ingredients:
1 medium cabbage, thinly sliced
1.5-2 lbs beets, peeled and chopped
3-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 large or 2 medium carrots
1/2 cup dried adzuki beans (optional but I really liked it, added to the creaminess)
a bunch of water or vegetable stock (I never use stock because I don't want to buy it and I'm too lazy to make it) or water + powdered veggie (I used Dr. Fuhrman's veggie zest)
freshly ground pepper
1 cup raw cashews
juice of a small lemon
some dill, um, 1/2 tsp if dried, more if fresh.  add more if you'd like

Soak the adzuki beans overnight, or do a quick soak bringing them to a boil and then letting sit for an hour or two.    start cooking the adzuki beans in water and broth (or powdered stuff).  chop the onions and add them. chop the carrots and add them.  chop the garlic and add it.  chop the beats and add them.  chop the cabbage and add it.  add the pepper and dill if dry.  Let it cook for, maybe an hour?  I left the house for 5 hours and forgot to leave instructions for turning it off.  That is way too long.  Fortunately the soup survived.   The adzuki beans probably need at least an hour after soaking.   Once the soup is done, turn it off and add the lemon juice.  Then put the cashews in the blender and add a few cups of the soup.  Blend until very creamy.  Add more soup if it gets too thick.  Then pour that in and add more soup to the blender.   Make it as creamy or chunky as you want depending on how much you blend.    

I thought this was very good.  I followed Dr. Fuhrman's advice and ate it over greens (he recommends eating salad all the time!).  So I scrunched up spinach and sliced it, and put it in a big bowl and topped it with the soup.  I liked it.

No comments: