Thursday, November 6, 2008

food log today and yesterday

I'm still a bit overloaded on food because I cooked all day yesterday and had my cooking class last night (had to take a day off work!).   But the class was a lot of fun for everyone I think. I even had a 12-year old student who was very enthusiastic, especially for the banana walnut ice cream.  The class is over now so I can get back to focussing on work and everything else in my life.   I made tofu jambalaya ahead of time.  I made it a little different from the online recipe, using my wild/brown rice mixture, and just throwing everything in the pot and cooking for about 1.5 hours.  I also used 3 16-oz canned tomatoes from our garden instead of 1 28-oz.  I smashed one of them up so it was like the tomato juice called for in the recipe.  You really don't have to follow recipes closely if you aren't baking.  Go with what you have on hand and what you like.  Then we made in the class cajun tempeh bacon (I marinated ahead of time), garbanzo-guacamole dip with blanched veggies (unfortunately you have to be a member of the Fuhrman forums to see that link but you can guess right? garbanzo beans, avocado, few green onions, a little hot pepper, a little garlic, small tomato, some soy sauce, blend the beans first, pulse everything else), and for dessert, banana walnut ice cream (frozen banana, few walnuts, small amount of soy milk, sweetener to taste, blended in  a superpowerful blender).  The tempeh bacon was really good!  I was surprised.  However, it was pretty high in sodium I bet, so probably not super healthy.  But a great treat occasionally I'm sure.  One of the students took it home to try in a TLT (tempeh lettuce and tomato sandwich).  And you gotta try the banana walnut ice cream.  it is so creamy and good.  as good as the unhealthy stuff.  maybe even better.

I ate all day yesterday and then all night.  So needless to say I wasn't too hungry today.  I snacked on salad from a bag, ate some leftovers for lunch from the cooking class, then for dinner more salad from the bag (finished a whole bag, though that's probably only about 50 calories!), a collard green smoothie, carrot, apple, orange, too many pumpkin seeds, a handful of frozen sweet peas, a handful of edamame (microwaved to warm them up).  Geez, I eat a lot.  I guess I got my appetite back.  I seem to get hungry about 4 pm.  

No comments: