Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer harvests

This time of year, I don't have to go to the grocery store much.   From the garden today, I harvested a bunch of tomatoes, lettuce, basil (not shown), collards and kale:
Marilyn will can the tomatoes (thank you!), I ate some of the salad today, and I stripped, washed and froze the collards and kale and basil.   These will last me several months.

I got a bunch of great stuff at the farmer's market too:  onions, kohlrabi, carrots, potatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, a sweet potato (last year's harvest but she said they are sweet), a melon, eggplant really good strawberries, cherries (ate them before snapping the picture), and salad greens:


Then our usual corn from the corn stand.  It's at its peak now and really sweet.  Lunch today was corn, sliced garden tomato, and a bunch of the vegetables from the farmer's market and garden cooked up:  onion, eggplant, zucchini, green bell pepper, tomatoes, and basil.  Was that ever good!  I had some for dinner too, along with a salad and strawberries with a little soy yogurt.   There is no greater time of the year for eating than right now!

No comments: