Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Runner-Up(s)

Jan and Jerry.  Here is their report:

A funny thing happened when I took my brother Jerry under my wing to help him lose weight...I lost weight too! He ended up losing more than 40 pounds on the "greens and beans" diet. And he got off his diabetic medications! I lost only a few pounds but I reached a milestone weight that has been eluding me for a good long while.
Jerry dutifully texted me his weight and his blood sugar reading every morning. That gesture, I believe, helped him to keep his weight and health goals first and foremost in his mind. Those daily texts also provided him with accountability.  I taught Jerry the acronym G-BOMBS (aka GOMBBS) to remind him what foods to eat every day. It is such a simple but powerful and effective concept...eat these six foods and regain your health. It's all about greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, and seeds!  And teaching Jerry about healthy eating helped to reinforce the information for me.
This is not to say that it was all easy...there were temptations and slip-ups and other obstacles along the way.  Accountability and keeping it simple....that's the combination that led to a successful outcome. 
We both have more weight to lose and this six-week challenge was a great start. Thanks, Barb!

No comments: