Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tomorrow's food

I think I bought the last 5 pomegranates of the season yesterday. Today there were none at the store. I'm glad I got them! So I will probably be eating my favorite fall microsalads every day. That's what I made for tomorrow, and it filled up two large bowls. I'm still excited by my newest ice cream concoction so I will have a smaller version of it for breakfast tomorrow. Lunch will be a microsalad. Dinner will be microsalad and veggie bean soup.

The rest of the week will probably be similar for lunch and dinner. Breakfast will have some variation. I have a grapefruit to eat, which I might do on Tuesday. Maybe I'll have oat groats one morning. Maybe more ice cream using different fruits, like mango.

I was thinking of going back to logging my daily meals. In addition to maybe being useful to others, it might help me stay on the straight and narrow. After all, it's embarrassing to post too many mistakes. But I will have to see if I have time. I don't think it takes long. This post didn't. What do you think, would you like to see my daily food logs?

6 comments:

Claire said...

Yes, I would! One of the biggest things holding me back from jumping into vegan eating is knowing how much I need everyday of various foods. It would help to see a real person's diet, rather than a canned one from a book. :)

Darryl said...

Hello Claire,

It will be interesting to see the details of the daily food logs, but Dr. Fuhrman's basic guidelines might also be helpful: at least one pound of raw vegetables, at least one pound of cooked vegetables, at least one cup of beans (or lentils or split peas), at least one pound of fresh fruit, at least one ounce of seeds or nuts. One or two servings of starch a day is desirable for most people, the most nutritious are winter squash and sweet potato. Corn is good, then intact whole grains (i. e. not flour), the best are wild rice and steel-cut oats. Beyond these minima, as much raw or cooked vegetables as you want, and within reason as much fruit or beans as you want. If you start losing too much weight, you can increase the seeds and nuts a bit, and add some avocado. Also, one tablespoon of ground flaxseed (to ensure enough omega-3 fatty acids), a vitamin B-12 supplement, and very likely a vitamin D3 supplement (get the 25-hydroxvitamin D blood test and find our your correct supplementation level to keep it in the 35-55 range).

Claire said...

Thanks, Darryl! I have read Dr. Fuhrman's books, and I do know those guidelines. I guess it's just helpful to see how that translates to someone who is living it. I appreciate so much you're taking the time to post all that! :)

And as for "losing weight too much weight," that would take a long time, unfortunately. I hope to get to the point where I shouldn't lose more, but I haven't even begun.

Anonymous said...

Daily logs would be great! I hope you have the time.

kristiw

kneecap said...

Thanks Darryl for that great summary of healthy eating!

coco said...

I rarely comment..I just read...keep on blogging..you are a normal person who works, who travels, who eats simply...it is very helpful and inspiring to read your posts! Don't think they are boring or that we don't read:)I was in France and Germany at the same time you were..went to Christmas markets too ..had a time eating vegetarian, but I did pretty good..Coco