Saturday, October 18, 2014

another ketchup recipe

I thought I already posted this but I can't find it so here it is (again?).  This is the ketchup I've been making lately.

Ingredients:
1 onion, cut into large pieces
1 medium apple, peeled, sliced
a few cloves garlic, peeled
2-3 carrots, cut into large pieces
a few medjool dates, pitted
2 16-oz cans tomatoes
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Cut everything into large pieces and put in a baking dish.  Add the liquid from the tomatoes.  Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees with just enough water to keep it moist.  Here's the result of the baked dish (I didn't use dates this time):


Blend everything in a blender.  Add more vinegar if you think it needs it.

It's good, a little more orange than normal ketchup.  If you prefer, don't add the carrots and then it will be more red.  Add as many dates as you want for sweetness.  For me, 2 is enough.   Often I don't use any.

No comments: