Saturday, December 13, 2014

"Pumpkin Pie" ice cream (without the pumpkin)

This was my favorite holiday treat this year.  The two things I miss most from the SAD world are pumpkin pie and peanut butter cups.  But I think I have a good substitute for both (the latter is still in my mind).  I made a half-recipe of StraightUPFood's Pumpkin Pie and made it into muffins with the crust at the bottom.  It was good, and next time I'd make a quarter recipe since I'm the only one to eat it.  Hmm, I wonder if it would be better with the butternut squash too.  Pumpkin is not very tasty on its own.

I like this ice cream even better than the pumpkin pie and it's less calorie-rich.  It was inspired by Carol on the Fuhrman forums.

Ingredients
4 oz frozen cooked butternut squash (I baked mine)
1 frozen banana
1 medjool date
1/2 oz walnuts
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla or scrape in some vanilla bean
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (it was actually good without)

Put it all into a high-powered blender.   Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the frozen stuff isn't super hard.  Then blend up.  you might have to walk away again for a few minutes and let it sit (blender off) and thaw some more.  Blend it up nice and smooth.  It tastes like the decadent pumpkin pie frozen custard that I used to get.

Note:  If you don't have a high-powered blender, you could try making it in a food processor.  Or in a low-powered blender add more soy milk and another date and a little more pumpkin pie spice and call it a milkshake.

Here are the ingredients in the blender:


I used vanilla bean which you can see as the black specks.

Here's 1 yummy serving (makes 2 and I eat them both for a meal).

5 comments:

Diet Kundli said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random information that's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting. Balanced Diet || Diet Plan || Balanced Diet Plan

Diet Kundli said...

This blog post really grabbed my attention. With that said I am going to subscribe. Therefore I will get more updates on what you have to say. Please keep writing as I want to learn more. Diet Chart || Balanced Diet Chart || Food Supplements

Diet Kundli said...

I have to say that overall I am truly impressed with this site. It is easy to notice that you are passionate regarding your writing. If only I had your writing talent I watch for much more posts and will be coming back. Weight Management || Causes of High Blood Pressure || Healthy Diet

Diet Kundli said...

This is a very great post. Every single detail about the topic has been highlighted in this blog. You don't come across blog like this very often. Cholesterol Lowering Foods || Diet for Glowing Skin || Diabetic Diet

Diet Kundli said...

Thank you for another essential blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information. High Blood Pressure Diet || Non Communicable Disease || Foods in Different Languages