Friday, January 3, 2014

Jan. 3 food at the retreat

I'm at a meditation retreat this week.  I took a break tonight to do some home/church duties so am taking the opportunity to post here.  I'm glad I made a bunch of food earlier in the week because the offerings at the retreat are less than what I expected---though it makes sense now that I think about it. I was expecting more fresh salads and fruit (I've been at this place before), but it's not the season for that in Wisconsin.  So it's mostly soups and sandwiches with the usual ingredients I don't want to eat.  Earlier this week I made a big batch of winter veggies (onion, beets, rutabaga) and combined that with cooked beans, wheat berries and oat groats, and froze into individual servings.  I also made a huge batch of collard greens (I have a freezer full from the garden), tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic which I froze too.  Today I am making soy yogurt because that goes so well with beets and sweet potato--I added dill to the beet dish today.  So my meals are:  fruit and nuts for breakfast, carrots for snacks, sweet potato, yogurt, and greens for lunch, winter veggies, yogurt, dill, and greens for dinner.  There's some fruit salad at the retreat so I can have that for lunch and dinner too.

I don't plan to post anymore until the retreat is over, next week.  bu-bye!

No comments: