Sunday, July 3, 2011

Quick Banana Bread

A while ago I posted a recipe for Instant Banana Bread.  Here's a slightly more complicated version.  It's verging on too complicated for me but I have a really low tolerance for complicated recipes.  This still qualifies as simple and in the "lazy chef" category.  You can make as little or much as you want, which is what I like about it because I would be too tempted by a full loaf of banana bread.

Ingredients:
some manna bread, multigrain is good.
some sliced ripe banana
some dates pitted
shot of vanilla (1/4-1/2 tsp depending on taste and how much bread you are making)
sprinkle of cinnamon (1/8-1/4 tsp)

Here's everything in a bowl:


Grind it up in a food processor.  Smash into a pan.  I didn't make much so my bread is going to be sideways--it's only about 1/3" thick in this pan:
Bake in the oven.  Here's where I wasn't sure what to do.  I did about 300 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  I wasn't trying to cook it, just heat it and dry it out a bit so it would be more bread like.  I cut this into 3 pieces that looked like slices of banana bread!  It was pretty good.  Let me know if you try this and like it or have suggestions for improving it.

4 comments:

Geoffrey Levens said...

Things like this, I would always add a shot of vanilla and a sprink of cinnamon. Both seem to add some sort of depth (or breadth) to the sweetness in addition to their own flavors

kneecap said...

Good idea! I added those to the recipe.

Linda5sons said...

If you have a dehydrator, you could 'bake' the bread there, to avoid heating the fruit sugar.

Another thing, if you dehydrated this into 'crackers', it would be an awesome hiking food.

...makes me wish I could eat grains...

kneecap said...

HI Linda,

yeah, a dehydrator would work great I bet. I haven't yet got one of those. interesting idea about crackers.

don't fret too much about the grains. This was good but not great--mostly it satisfied my nostalgia for the old stuff. I've lost my taste for grains as time goes on. Unless you add salt or sugar, or highly process them, they are quite bland.

-barb