Sunday, April 18, 2010

today's food

Today I just grabbed stuff from the freezer for brekky and lunch as I was out all day.

I had a blended salad for brekky, along with a pear and some sips of housemate's smoothie as I prepared them.

Lunch was a spinach mango smoothie, some carrots, a grapefruit, and a cup of beans. Yesterday, I made plain old beans with nothing added. The rancho gordo heirloom beans are good just plain (and I didn't have time to make a more flavorful concoction).

Dinner was a delicious salad of lettuce, spinach, ramps (!), strawberries, bananas, hemp seeds, and d'angou pear vinegar, similar to the one posted here. Ramps are wild leeks. They look sort of like green onions with leaves. The leafy part is peppery. They only appear for a couple of weeks around here. They are wonderful.

Now that spring has hit, I'm probably not going to be doing weekend cooking marathons like I was last month. So I'll make the smoothies and food as I need them on a daily basis.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Ramps? Ramps grow up that way? I thought they only grew in western NC (Waynesville, NC has a Ramps Festival every Spring!) Great food entries by the way - love the pictures - you've inspired me! :-) Thanks!

kneecap said...

yeah! I have a friend from the Tennessee mountains who used to go on and on about ramps, and we would laugh at the name and tease him that they don't exist. Then when I saw them at my co-op, I had a big laugh, but I bought some and ate them and they are great! They grow wild here for a couple of weeks in the spring.