Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Daily Blended salad

I'm not a big smoothie fan because I prefer chewing my food and tasting the flavors of each bite separately. But if it's really true as Dr. Fuhrman says, that you absorb 5-10 times more nutrients from blending, then it seems worth it to blend up some salad greens once a day. And I like this one because it's not very sweet. I'd rather save the sweet fruits for other dishes. This is refreshing in a slightly sweet, bitter, and tart kind of way. The lemon is a key ingredient because it neutralizes the bitter taste of the greens. I really like this smoothie, but I don't recommend it for first-timers. For those, I recommend house-mate's smoothie or the spinach-mango smoothie.

Ingredients:

One 5-oz bag baby romaine or baby greens salad mix
2 oranges or 1 grapefruit (remove seeds or buy seedless like navels)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp flaxseed
daily supplements (gentle care, osteo-sun, and DHA)

Combine in a high-speed blender.

Nutritional info: 226 calories, protein 6 g (10%), carbs 46 g (73%), fat 4 g (18%)

I usually make 7 smoothies on Saturday morning and freeze them in 16 oz water bottles. Here's the assembly line before production starts:














No comments: