Sunday, January 24, 2010

5-day cleanse

I'm doing Dr. Fuhrman's 5-day cleanse from his September 2003 Newsletter. His "cleanse" is not what most people think a cleanse is. It is a bunch of healthy meals heavy on the leafy greens, with veggies and fruit and some seeds thrown in. As Dr. Fuhrman says, "The most important thing to understand about detoxification is that it is an ongoing bodily process. It isn't something that you can buy in a package. The healthier you are, the easier it is for your body to keep its tissues clean. In order to maintain excellent health and true internal cleanliness, you must avoid all harmful, irritating substances (such as salt, pepper, and hot spices) and eat a diet rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain the most powerful healing agents. They nourish your body and help maximize its normal functions. The only way to effectively detoxify is to live and eat healthfully, and allow your body to do its thing at full throttle...Let's see how you feel after five days of eating Nature's most powerful healing foods."

The recipes are:

Fruit plate: orange, blue
berries, strawberries, optional lettuce
Blended salad: baby greens, orange, lemon juice
Healthy slaw: raw cabbage, beets, carrots, apples, and raisins
Spinach salad: raw spinach, red onion, various seeds, blackberries, pear vinegar
The Green Machine: tons of kale, bok choy, broccoli rab or other greens, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, onion
Apple-stuff peppers: red pepper, apple, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I probably shouldn't give more detailed recipes since they are probably proprietary. But this gives you an idea. He splits these into 3 meals, which I find humorous because it took me 3 days to get through all the recipes. The ones I started repeating every day were the spinach salad and the blended salad. I really like them. They are simple and good. I think I could eat those every day for a long time! I'm really surprised I like the blended salad. I only made the green machine once. It was good, just a lot of food. I made the apple-stuff pepper twice and split it with housemate. It wasn't spectacular, and yet I enjoyed it.

I just finished day 4 of the cleanse and feel good and back to my healthy self. Here are pictures of the meals:

Fruit plate:


















Green sludge, I mean, blended salad:




















Green Machine:


















Apple-stuffed bell pepper (shared with house-mate):

















cabbage salad:

















spinach salad, probably my favorite meal:

















No comments: