Friday, January 1, 2010

new year's update

In this earlier post from today, I talked about the food I was preparing for a party tonight. It was a great success! They loved the black eyed pea stew. Note: this has no salt in it and these are people who eat lots of salt! It's the veggie juice that makes it taste great. I used over a quart of carrot, celery and kale juice. Even the beet/squash/apple bake turned out great. As I said earlier, I decided to add beets to it and didn't like the result nearly as much because the beet flavor overwhelmed the squash. BUT, I was eating the salad with sweet pea dressing, and I decided to combine it with the beet/squash/apple bake, and that combination was really good! So I combined the leftover beet stuff with the dressing and tomorrow I'll have that on my salad. yummy!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I'll be making your wonderful Black-eyed Pea soup today. (Ah, we all can use good luck and prosperity.) Any pointers on how much to use of each of the dried herbs. Not being a cook, I'm not a good judge of a good blend. (I'll be using butternut squash and kale for the dish.) Thanks in advance.

kneecap said...

Hi Robin!

Yesterday, I used 1/2 tsp of herbes de provence which is savory, thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon, lavener flowers; and 1/2 tsp bouquet garni which is savory, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, dill, marjoram, sage, and tarragon.

since you probably don't have those, how about 1/4 tsp each of thyme, basil, oregano and tarragon? I don't know much about spices either, but with the veggie juice, you don't need much anyway. :)

good luck!