Saturday, April 17, 2010

today's food


sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been super busy. Today's food is typical of what I've been eating lately so I'll post that. It's only 6:30 am but I've been up for 2 hours preparing since I'll be gone all day! I didn't have to do this, because I've got some food in the freezer but I woke up early and was in the mood for salads so I got up. Hopefully I'll take a quick nap after I finish my brekky.

brekky: yummy yummy spinach berry salad. mmmmmmmmm, I'm eating it now. spinach and lettuce, chia and ground flax seeds, spicy pecan vinegar. I mixed those up first. That tastes quite good as it is. Then I added sliced bananas, frozen cherries and blueberries. It's like having dessert for breakfast. YUM.




















Lunch and dinner: Carrots' micro-processor salad. Carrots is a member of the Fuhrman forums and she invented this. It's basically raw veggies and fruit chopped up in a food processor. Yesterday I started adding cooked veggies too after I listened to Dr. Fuhrman's latest telecon and was remind how good cooked mushrooms are for you. So today I cooked up some shiitake mushroms and beets in the pressure cooker and then cooled them and added them to the salad. I also discovered another advantage of using frozen kale. First is that it's good to have when you run out of lettuce. Second is that it tastes better after freezing--gets sweeter. Third is that right when you take it out of the freezer, it will shatter into little pieces when you squeeze it with your hand, so you don't have to chop it. Cool! So today's salad has kale, asparagus, brussels sprouts, little bit of leek, few beet greens, a pear, apple, and orange, red bell pepper, juiced lime, cooked beets & shiitake mushrooms, and cooked pinquito beans (from Rancho gordo), and 1 Tbsp each of hemp seeds and sunflower seeds. and 1 Tbsp spicy pecan vinegar. Here's a picture in a large mixing bowl before adding the beans (they are still cooling):


No comments: