Friday, February 13, 2015

ketchup/BBQ sauce

This is very similar to my recent ketchup recipe only it doesn't use dates, is easier to make, and has a little barbecue flavor.  If you want it sweeter, which is more traditional, add some dates when you blend it up.  I just find that overpowers the taste of my potatoes, which have their own luscious flavors and sweetness.  I added a little smoky flavor to this which is why its kind of a mix between ketchup and BBQ sauce.

Ingredients (I include exact amounts for no important reason, just because I measured them):

1 onion (159 g), cut into medium pieces (no need to chop finely as everything gets blended)
1 medium apple, peeled, sliced (151 g)
3 cloves garlic, peeled (21 g)
3 carrots, cut into medium pieces (197 g)
1 red bell pepper (148 g)
2 16-oz cans tomatoes
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke
chipotle powder to taste (I just use a sprinkle)

Strain the tomatoes and use the liquid for steaming.  Steam the onion, apple, garlic, carrots, bell pepper in the InstantPot (or any pressure cooker) for 3 minutes then let it slow-release.  Or steam on the stove for 20-30 minutes until the veggies are soft.

Combine everything in the blender including the steaming water.  I poured this into 6 1-cup bowls, froze 5, and am saving one for tomorrow when I make potato fries.  yum.

I make each bowl last for 2 servings of potato fries, so that's a whopping 36 calories per serving.

No comments: