Saturday, October 6, 2012

one-armed meals

I'm eating variations on a theme until I get tired of it.

breakfast:  big bowl of oatmeal.   soak overnight 3/4 cup oats, 1.5 cup water, 1 Tbsp raisins, 1 Tbsp flax/chia seed, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, and a fruit or 1/2 baked sweet potato mashed in.   Favorite fruit choices (still experimenting) have been 1/2 ripe banana or 1/2 cup blueberries and/or sweet cherries.   heat in microwave until steaming.   Let cool a bit (cooks the oats).  Add 1/4 cup nut-milk or water as it thickens.   yum.


Lunch:
Burger and fries, and a veggie.   sometimes top with soy yogurt (e.g., for curry burger and fries with indian spices)...


...sometimes top with homemade ketchup, salt-free mustard and cucumber soaked in d'angou pear vinegar and dill.   

My favorite veggies of late have been collards, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and okra.

Dinner:  baked squash, a veggie, corn, peas or beans.  (no pic--I'll try to remember to snap one tomorrow)

snack:   some subset of lettuce, spinach, red italian fry pepper (even better than red bell pepper), celery, maybe a small apple or 1/2 large.   I don't make a salad because chopping is a pain with one hand.  We're getting local salad greens and spinach which I just eat with my hand like snack food--it's delicious.

I bake my potatoes and squash (whole) the night before, 375 F for 1.5 hours.

I logged my food in cronometer for a few days to guide my calcium intake (for healing my broken bone).   My high-calcium foods are the green veggies, especially the collards, and squash.   Yea squash!   Okra is also high in it which is why I bought a bag of frozen,   So I've been getting about 800 mg a day which is a lot!   With my diet, little should get leached away (no salt, caffeine, animal protein) so this should be plenty.

No comments: