Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Update

Hi everyone,

With my broken elbow, I can't make the time to post much these days but I decided to take a break today and post a little on the Fuhrman forums, and give an update here too. Then I'll have to get back to my daily routines of sleeping, showering, preparing food, bending bending bending my elbow until it hurts, and trying to work.

Foodwise, I'm focusing on the fundamentals because I want optimal healing: beans (1 cup), greens (tons), cruciferous veggies (tons), fruit (1-1.5 lb), and nuts & seeds (1-2 oz).

This weekend I made a bean soup from 1 lb of white beans, 2 cans tomatoes, my last bag of frozen collard greens from the garden (lasted all the way through January!), onion, mushrooms, garlic, turnip (not sure I liked that addition), and italian seasonings. I put those into 12 plastic bowls to freeze.

My fruit this week is bananas, apples, oranges, pears, and kiwis. I've been having the banana, pear, and orange early in the week, then will have kiwis, apples, and oranges later (eating the more ripe ones first).

I'm making a gigantic salad every day. Today's has lettuce, bok choy, spinach, cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, red bell pepper, corn, onion, pear or apple, seed mixture and flavored vinegar. It's yummy!

I spread the salad between 2-3 meals. I have soup with dinner. And 1-2 fruits at breakfast. Oh, and tons of raw carrots. We get these fabulous carrots grown locally (tipi produce). My visiting parents said they are the best carrots they've ever eaten in their lives and I completely agree. I don't know how long the harvest will last so I've been eating even more than usual in anticipation of the very sad day when they disappear from the shelves until next summer. Fortunately, that's also a sign of spring, and fresh greens and berries. Anyway, I'm getting off track. I eat a lot of carrots because they are so darn good. I enjoy my carrots the way housemate enjoys her tostada chips and chocolate.

So those are my meals this week. Last week I made confetti salads, but this week I wanted to taste the ingredients separately.

Oh, I forgot the weekends. This is when I get a treat! I make house-mate's smoothies. In the process I make a date-nut cream to sweeten the smoothies. This is so delicious. I either have some of that over fresh berries, or make a small sorbet from this combined with frozen berries. yum-yum. And I also let myself have a date with walnut piece (or 2) in it, heated up in microwave. boy is that a sweet treat. I sample the smoothies too. All of those treats end up being my breakfast and lunch, usually. Other meals are just whatever I feel like and have the time to make, maybe greens in sweet potato sauce, or a Fuhrman recipe, or snacking on veggies. I like to cook more on weekends since I don't do much during the week. On Sunday, I make soup for the week.

Any nutritarians who want to comment on my meals and suggest improvements, please do! I welcome advice.

Regarding my injury (broke my elbow, had surgery), my elbow, lower arm and hand are still bruised and swollen, though both are much better and improving daily. I just wish the swelling in the hand would go away faster. I am working to bend my elbow to 90 degrees by tomorrow but I'm only at 82 today so won't make it. I'm hoping when I see the surgeon tomorrow, he will tell me that I can do a lot more with my arm. Right now I'm not allowed to use my triceps muscle. We are having a blizzard so I might not make it to the doctor tomorrow. That gives me more time to get to 90 degrees, but more wait to hear that I can use my arm more.

okay, time to go eat my giant salad for dinner. I'll be back next time I have a break, maybe on the weekend.

6 comments:

Darryl said...

That elbow injury must be such a major nuisance. Your food sounds healthy and delicious, as usual. I'm impressed that you can still do all that cooking, especially salad making.

Hope you get a great report when you see the doc tomorrow!

kneecap said...

Hi Darryl, I heard about your hand injury and weather from Laurie. we're getting the blizzard now. heal fast!

Ginger said...

How do you ever cut up veggies with only one arm? Your recipes make this nutritarian hungry. I think I'll go make a smoothie right now: water, orange, banana, spinach, and frozen berries. But then I'll have to take a hot shower to warm myself back up. I have go to learn how to make more warm dishes. Then when it is 10 degrees outside, I won't turn into a Popsicle.

Kacy said...

Very impressive that you're able to keep up your healthy eating even with a major injury. You go girl!

Kacy
http://www.tyok11.blogspot.com/

Susan Crane said...

Wishing you speedy healing! I enjoy your blog but have not commented before. I tried something new you might like last night. I made Dr. F's anti-cancer soup but was out of mushrooms so instead of the seasoning I put in some Herbes in Duxelle (salt free) seasoning that I got at Savory Spice shop in town....or savoryspiceshop.com (a lifesaving shop for us salt free peeps out here) and it was to die for!!! (it's made of dried shitake and other mushrooms and is just amazing. I look forward to adding it to other soups very soon!!!

kneecap said...

how nice to hear from all of you! Ginger, it's amazing how smart the brain is. it comes with all kinds of clever ways to adapt. for round objects, once you get part of it sliced off, then you have a flat part that can lie on the cutting board and that's very stable and it's easy from there on out. enjoy your smoothie! maybe have some hot herbal tea afterwards. I do that after eating my big salad.

Kacy, hi, how are you? I've been keeping up with you as much as I can on the forums, and checking out your blog. YOU go girl. It's actually easier to eat healthy because I'm more motivated to heal the bones and bruises and swelling as quickly as possible. plus with my lack of activiity I need to maximize my nutrient/calorie ratio since the calorie intake is lower.

princess, thanks for the tip on the spice. I'll have to see if penzey's or my co-op has something similar.