Saturday, May 15, 2010

cooked veggies

I don't use recipes much, so this is just an example of what I made today from food in my fridge.

Ingredients:
1/2 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
1 small (or bigger) onion, chopped
1 16-oz can tomatoes
4-8 oz shitake mushrooms
1 bunch kale, chopped
brussels sprouts, 12 oz in this case
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp sunflower seeds + 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, ground
1/4 cup raisins (I'm guessing--I added an unripe white peach instead and didn't like it, so next time I will try raisins or an apple)
1 cup beans
1/2 tsp each of some spices--I tried cumin, garam masala, and curry (felt like an Indian flavor)
fresh herbs if you have them--right now, it's cilantro, chives, and dill
1 Tbsp flavored vinegar (e.g., spicy pecan, or pomegranate balsamic)

Combine everything in the pressure cooker except the raisins, beans, ground seeds, and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes at high pressure, let set for a few minutes before letting out pressure (cooks them longer). Then add the raisins, beans, and tomatoes--also helps cool it down. It's pretty good. I'm not sure what spices work best, was just experimenting.

No comments: